About Marilyn Guadagnino LCAT MT-BC
Licensed Therapist, Author, Meditation Teacher
Many people need someone to acknowledge and validate them without judgment or an agenda, just to be heard and understood. They then want practical wisdom, new perspectives, and creative solutions to improve their life. This is what I do. I wrote a book about it entitled, “The Living Stress Free Bible: 20 Techniques To Make Your Life Less Stressful.”
My NYS license (LCAT) is in Creative Arts Therapy. With this license I am fully qualified to offer psychotherapy. The “creative arts” discipline refers to my music therapy certification (MT-BC). This means I am an out-of-the-box thinker who has lots of creative solutions to addressing people’s problems. I can use music in my work with clients but that decision would be discussed as the therapeutic relationship develops.
My Approach & Values
Whereas Narrative Therapy suggests that you are not your problem, my therapy style takes it to the next level: you are not your thoughts or your feelings. Using the mindfulness practices from the eastern philosophical and spiritual traditions, I teach my clients to learn how to perceive the mind’s manifestations as transient events. Our thoughts and feelings are what perpetuate our suffering. Living in the present with moment to moment awareness is the key to happiness and inner peace.
I offer an eclectic approach. Sometimes a person might benefit from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and other times they would prefer the expressive arts. I use a holistic, integrative approach because the mind is only part of a greater whole. I also prefer the Person-Centered style of allowing my clients to take the lead toward their own self discovery. My role as a compassionate witness to their self disclosure allows for self acceptance and self love to cultivate and increase.
I am a music therapist. Music therapy has many facets in its approach to helping clients. My music therapy specialty is mindfulness and relaxation training through music therapy interventions. I developed a unique sound meditation technique called Spanda Meditation to help clients enhance their mindfulness practices. I would be happy to discuss how music therapy may enhance your journey toward health and happiness.
- Co-owner Living Stress Free Inc since 2011 providing counseling, classes, courses, retreats, blogs, podcasts, videos, and guest speaking engagements.
- Primary Therapist and/or Music Therapist with the University of Rochester’s Department of Psychiatry at Strong Memorial Hospital 1991-present providing individual and group therapy, music therapy mentorship and supervision, and overall supervision and management of Peer Specialist Services.
- Activities Therapist at Charter Hospital Charlottesville 1988-1991 providing inpatient music therapy and recreational therapy services.
- Shenandoah University: BMT and BME 1987
- Music Therapy Board Certification: 1988
- NYS License in Creative Arts Therapy: 2005
- The Living Stress Free Bible: 20 Techniques to Make Your Life Less Stressful, published in 2018.
About Lou Guadagnino
Life Coaching/Life Mentoring/Author
Everyone’s life includes challenges and most of us benefit from supportive listening, encouragement, practical advice, and wisdom – basic things sorely lacking in today’s world. I learned many helpful tools working in the mental health field for thirty years. I learned inspiring wisdom and powerful techniques from my years as a yoga student, meditation student, and my lifelong love of spirituality.
I am interested in working with people from all walks of life who want to gain a better understanding of themselves and who want to create a life that fulfills their potential and represents who they really are. We all feel better and live healthier lifestyles when our daily activities are aligned with our values and our life’s purpose.
I invite you to contact me by using the Contact Us section at the bottom of this page for a free consultation. Share a little bit about yourself, what you want to change in your life and I will tell you how I can help. I meet with individuals and couples at my office in Rochester, New York, and through video conferencing.
My Approach & Values
I have been a successful Life Coach for ten years. The key to my success in one word is “lifestyle”.
I work with clients on defining their life’s goals, values, challenges and offer clients a larger perspective of themselves and their lives.
We start by looking at what’s holding you back. We take a closer look at what hasn’t worked and why. We work with each challenge by clearly understanding it and by using lifestyle techniques to address it such as meditation, exercise, diet, communication skills, confidence building, schedule balancing and sometimes just common sense.
Together we create a lifestyle plan that supports your goals, values and addresses your challenges. Lifestyle is the number one overlooked cause for people’s inability to improve their lives.
For an athlete to reach their greatest potential they have to do more than train. They need to live a lifestyle that supports their training and goal to be the greatest athlete possible.
In the same way if someone wants to lower their stress, discover peace within, learn to live a fulfilling life, or explore their spiritual potential they need to live a lifestyle that supports their goal.
I help people hear themselves. I help them hear what they are trying to tell themselves about what they want, where they want to go, and what’s the best way to get there. I’m a good ear, clarifier, mirror, you do the rest.
My Related Experience/Education
- Co-owner Living Stress Free Inc since 2011 providing coaching, mentoring, meditation instruction, meditation instructor certification, classes, courses, retreats, blogs, podcasts, videos, and guest speaking engagements.
- Corporate Trainer and Team Builder
- 32 Years Experience as Therapist, Educator, Addiction Counselor
- Yoga Teacher
- Mental Health/Addiction Treatment Program Developer
- It’s Never Too Late To Do Nothing: Mindfulness Meditation, Yoga and Spiritual Intelligence, published in 2014
- The Living Stress Free Wellness Program, published in 2011